First Response Training
She’s pregnant. They don’t know what to do.
What would you say? Your first response matters.
Thank you for taking this time to take the Pregnancy Care Centre’s First Response Training. The two goals of this training is to (1) equip you to understand the issues surrounding an unexpected pregnancy and (2) to learn response skills so that you can offer a life-affirming first response to someone who tells you about their unexpected or unwanted pregnancy.
We have sectioned the training into 6 parts below. The first 3 sections are available below. You are welcome to print off each section and take notes, however you will not be expected to hand them in. There are links to download each section with reflection questions for each section below.
If any questions or concerns arise during your training, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 416-229-2607. Upon completion of this online training, you will have an opportunity to sign up and get involved with Pregnancy Care Centre.
Section 1: Overview
- What are the two goals of this training?
- What is the main reason the Pregnancy Care Centre decided to offer this training?
- What are the services offered to those in unexpected pregnancies by the Pregnancy Care Centre?
Section 2: Understanding the Issues
- What factors do you think would influence the person you had in mind most?
- What is God’s perspective?
- What is the client profile for the person you had in mind?
Section 2a: Biblical Framework for Unexpected Pregnancies
- What does the Bible say about the Unborn?
- What can we learn about life in the womb?
- What did God say about the custom of child sacrifice?
- What does the Bible teach us about disability?
- How can we avoid harming ourselves and others? Is it enough that we personally avoid having an abortion? Should Christians warn those who are not Christians from acting in ways that God says will harm them and other people?
- What does God call us to do as Christians for those in unexpected pregnancies?
- What can you learn about God’s purposes and plans for children whose mothers had pregnancies in unique circumstances?
- What can you learn about God’s purposes and plans for children women who have had abortions in the past?
Section 3: Response Skills
- What does L, O, V, and E stand for in the LOVE Approach?
- What about the H, E, L, P, E, and R in HELPER Attitudes?
- How are both the LOVE Approach and HELPER Attitudes used to make interaction with someone in an unexpected pregnancy better?